Sunday, October 13, 2013

*little shops on the square

Oh, how I have loved managing the little herb shop on the square! Some of the absolute best people have walked through its door as customers and straight into my life as new friends. But, besides the customers, I've also grown close to the other shop owners/managers. We are a pretty tightly knit group who waves hello as we open our shops every morning, looks out for each other, and visits with each other as often as we can.

One lady in particular stands out to me, though. She comes in at least once a week, often bringing her little 'Sweetie'...the most polite little furry friend I've ever met. Her store, a children's specialty boutique, has been on the square for over 35 years! A couple of weeks ago, someone came in and asked me why she was closing her store. I was floored! I had just spoken with her the week before, but she hadn't mentioned anything to me. By that afternoon, I had learned that her building was facing sudden extensive renovations and she decided it was just time to retire. An inventory liquidation sale was scheduled to begin and on that day, you could not find a parking spot on the entire square. I watched as her trademark bags were loaded into cars all day long. 
To me, it was one of the best things about small town living. The community came together (literally, it was elbow to elbow in her store that morning!) to support her and share stories of how generations of their families had shopped there. I went early that morning, before opening my shop...and all I could think about was the sad song that plays as Meg Ryan is closing her store in 'You've Got Mail'. My eyes kept tearing up and I couldn't even look at K because I knew I would totally lose it.
{the best inconspicuous pic I could snap with an iPad, haha}
I looked around and finally settled on the sweetest little gown for right after baby girl gets here. Once she's all cleaned up and ready for visitors, I'll put it on her and I know K will be in my heart as I do so.

Amazing people cross our paths all the time in this life, don't they? 
I am going to miss my little herb shop so very much...

1 comment: